- Rethinking Cellular Core Network Architecture by Mehrdad Moradi, Yikai Lin, Z. Morley Mao, Shubho Sen, Oliver Spatscheck, To appear in IEEE JSAC series on network softwarization and enablers 2018.
- Dissecting HAS VOD Services for Cellular: Performance, Root Causes and Best Practices by Shichang Xu, Yunhan Jia, Z. Morley Mao, and Subhabrata Sen, Proceedings of IMC 2017.
- Push or Request: An Investigation of HTTP/2 Server Push for Improving Mobile Performance by Sanae Rosen, Bo Han, Shuai Hao, Z. Morley Mao, Feng Qian, Proceedings of WWW 2017.
- Understanding On-device Bufferbloat for Cellular Upload by Yihua Guo, Feng Qian, Qi Alfred Chen, Z. Morley Mao, Subhabrata Sen, Proceedings of IMC 2016.
- An In-depth Understanding of Multipath TCP on Mobile Devices: Measurement and System Design by Ashkan Nikravesh, Yihua Guo, Feng Qian, Z. Morley Mao, and Subhabrata Sen, Proceedings of Mobicom 2016.
- Diagnosing Mobile Apps' Quality of Experience: Challenges and Promising Directions by Z. Morley Mao, IEEE Internet Computing (Volume:20, Issue: 1) 2016.
- Revisiting Network Energy Efficiency of Mobile Apps: Performance in the Wild by Sanae Rosen, Ashkan Nikravesh, Yihua Guo, Z. Morley Mao, Feng Qian, Shubho Sen, Proceedings of ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC) 2015.
- Performance Characterization and Call Reliability Problem Diagnosis for Voice over LTE by Yunhan Jack Jia, Qi Alfred Chen, Z.Morley Mao, Jie Hui, Kranthi Sontineni, Alex Yoon, Samson Kwong, Kevin Lau, Proceedings of ACM Mobicom 2015.
- SAMPLES: Self Adaptive Mining of Persistent Lexical Snippets for Classifying Mobile Application Traffic by Hongyi Yao, Gyan Ranjan, Alok Tongaonkar, Yong Liao, Z. Morley Mao, Proceedings of ACM Mobicom 2015.
- Mobilyzer: An Open Platform for Controllable Mobile Network Measurements by Ashkan Nikravesh, Hongyi Yao, Shichang Xu, David Choffnes, and Z. Morley Mao, Proceedings of MobiSys 2015.
- Accelerating Mobile Applications through Flip-Flop Replication by Mark Gordon, David Ke Hong, Peter Chen, Jason Flinn, Scott Mahlke, and Z. Morley Mao, Proceedings of MobiSys 2015.
- Automatic Generation of Mobile App Signatures from Traffic Observations by Qiang Xu, Yong Liao, Stanislav Miskovic, Mario Baldi, Z. Morley Mao, Antonio Nucci, and Thomas Andrews, Proceedings of INFOCOM 2015.
- Sanae Rosen, Hongyi Yao, Ashkan Nikravesh, Yunhan Jia, David Choffnes, Z. Morley Mao (2014). Demo: Mapping global mobile performance trends with Mobilyzer and MobiPerf. MobiSys.
- Sanae Rosen, Haokun Luo, Qi Alfred Chen, Z. Morley Mao, Jie Hui, Aaron Drake, and Kevin Lau (2014). Discovering Fine-grained RRC State Dynamics and Performance Impacts in Cellular Networks. Proc. of Mobicom
- Qi Alfred Chen, Haokun Luo, Sanae Rosen, Z. Morley Mao, Karthik Iyer, Jie Hui, Kranthi Sontineni, Kevin Lau (2014). QoE Doctor: Diagnosing Mobile App QoE with Automated UI Control and Cross-layer Analysis. Proc. of Internet Measurement Conference (IMC).
- Junxian Huang, Feng Qian, Z. Morley Mao, Subhabrata Sen, and Oliver Spatscheck, (2014). RadioProphet: Intelligent Radio Resource Deallocation for Cellular Networks. Proc. of PAM.
- "The Reliability, Validity, and Acceptability of a Mobile Phone-Based
Breath Carbon Monoxide Meter to Detect Cigarette Smoking", by Steven
Meredith, Andrew Robinson, Philip Erb, Claire Spieler, Noah Klugman,
Prabal Dutta, and Jesse Dallery, In Journal of Nicotine and Tobacco
Research. To appear.
Event-Based Tracing to Optimize Mobile Application and Platform
Performance,” by L. Zhang, D. R. Bild, R. P. Dick,
Z. M. Mao, and P. Dinda, in Proc. Int. Conf. Hardware/Software Codesign and
System Synthesis, Sept. 2013. Notes: Fine-grained event tracing
infrastructure makes it easy to identify hardware and software performance
bottlenecks in interactive smartphone applications.
Hybrid Sensor System for Indoor Air Quality Monitoring,” by Yun Xiang, R. Piedrahita, R. P. Dick, M. Hannigan, Q. Lv, and L. Shang, in
Proc. Int. Conf. Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, May
2013, pp. 96–104. Notes: Technique to design hybrid
stationary/mobile indoor air quality sensing system.
- How to Reduce Smartphone Traffic Volume by 30%? by Feng Qian,
Junxian Huang, Jeffrey Erman, Z. Morley Mao, Subhabrata Sen, and
Oliver Spatscheck, Proceedings of PAM 2013.
- An In-depth Study of LTE: Effect of Network Protocol and Application
Behavior on Performance by Junxian Huang, Feng Qian, Yihua Guo,
Yuanyuan Zhou, Qiang Xu, Z. Morley Mao, Subhabrata Sen, and Oliver
Spatscheck, Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2013.
- AppProfiler: A Flexible Method of Exposing Privacy-Related Behavior in
Android Applications to End Users by Sanae Rosen, Zhiyun Qian, and
Z. Morley Mao, Proceedings of ACM CODASPY 2013.
Caching on Smartphones: Ideal vs. Reality by Feng Qian, Kee Shen
Quah, Junxian Huang, Jeffrey Erman, Alexandre Gerber, Z. Morley Mao,
Subhabrata Sen, and Oliver Spatscheck, Proceedings of ACM Mobisys
- A Close Examination of Performance and Power Characteristics of 4G LTE
Networks by Junxian Huang, Feng Qian, Alexandre Gerber, Z. Morley Mao,
Subhabrata Sen, and Oliver Spatscheck, Proceedings of ACM Mobisys
- COMET: Code Offload by Migrating Execution Transparently by Mark
S. Gordon, D. Anoushe Jamshidi, Scott Mahlke, Z. Morley Mao and Xu
Chen, Proceedings of OSDI 2012.
Turning the Mobile Phone's Ubiquitous Headset Port into a Universal
Data Acquisition Interface. by Sonal Verma, Andrew Robinson, and Prabal Dutta, 10th ACM Conference on Embedded
Networked Sensor Systems. Toronto, Ontario, Canada,.
- Reconfiguring the Software Radio to Improve Power, Price,
and Portability by Ye-Sheng Kuo, Pat Pannuto, Thomas Schmid, and Prabal Dutta. Sensys'12: Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on
Embedded Networked Sensor Systems. Toronto, Ontario, Canada,.
- “ADEL: An
Automatic Detector of Energy Leaks for Smartphone
Applications,” by L. Zhang, M. S. Gordon, R. P. Dick, Z. M. Mao, P. Dinda, and L. Yang, in
Proc. Int. Conf. Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis,
Oct. 2012, pp. 363–373. Notes: Data-flow taint tracking based technique
to detect energy wasting network communication.
Automatic Wi-Fi Based Room Fingerprinting for Indoor
Localization,” by Y. Jiang, X. Pan, K. Li, Q. Lv, R. P. Dick, M. Hannigan, and L. Shang,
in Proc. Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Computing, Sept. 2012,
pp. 441–450. 19.3% acceptance rate for conference. Notes: Automatic room
fingerprinting and classification technique for indoor localization.
Calibration and Sensor Placement for Mobile Sensor
Networks,” by Y. Xiang, L. S. Bai, R. Piedrahita, R. P. Dick, Q. Lv, M. P. Hannigan, and
L. Shang, in
Proc. Int. Conf. Information Processing in Sensor Networks,
Apr. 2012, pp. 73–84. 15% acceptance rate for conference. Notes:
Technique to allow automatic calibration among mobile sensors with drifting
- Screen-Off Traffic Characterization and Optimization in 3G/4G
Networks by Junxian Huang, Feng Qian, Z. Morley Mao, Subhabrata Sen
and Oliver Spatscheck, Proceedings of IMC 2012.
Sensing for a Smarter Planet by Prabal Dutta, XRDS:
Crossroads: The ACM Magazine for Students, Summer 2011, Vol. 17,
No. 4, pgs 14-20, 2011., p. , vol.
Diverse Usage Behaviors of Smartphone Apps by Qiang Xu, Jeffrey
Erman, Alexandre Gerber, Z. Morley Mao, Jeffrey Pang, and Shobha
Venkataraman, Proceedings of IMC 2011.
- Profiling Resource Usage for Mobile Applications: a Cross-layer
Approach by Feng Qian, Zhaoguang Wang, Alex Gerber, Z. Morley Mao,
Subhabrata Sen, and Oliver Spatscheck Proceedings of Mobisys